Friday 31 March 2017

One New Date - 3 New Generations of Ancestors

Some time ago I had hit a brickwall with researching Marlene's maternal Great Great Grandmother, Julie LeBlanc, and despite collaborating with other LeBlanc descendants, I could not confirm her parentage, mainly because I did not have a birth date for her.
 
As I identified in a previous post, the Alberta Archives has recently put historical death indexes online, and the death index entry for Julie LeBlanc identified that she was born in Quebec on 13 March 1857.
 
This one date was all that I needed to find her baptism entry (14 March 1857) in the Drouin Collection on Ancestry.com, and to very quickly take her family back an additional 3 generations, all verified through baptism and marriage records - the French Canadians kept excellent records. 
 
Ancestry of Julie Bergeron
 
One of Julie's descendants, Bonnie Konkal, had told me that Julie was adopted by an aunt and uncle, and I was able to identify the likely family that adopted her - Julie was living with Egesippe Bergeron and his wife Ludmille Croteau in the 1871 census, and I determined that Egesippe Bergeron, was Julie's father's brother.
 
An added bonus was finding that Julie had a sister, Alphonsine Bergeron, who married in Massachusetts and had several children.
 
All of this from just one birth date!

No comments:

Post a Comment